Many people talk about ‘bullet coffee’ or ‘bullet-proof coffee’, and immediately when you mention there’s butter and/or coconut oil involved, there is an absolute look of disgust or nausea at the thought.
The reality is far different. I find it actually quite tasty & extremely filling. And it’s my on-the-go version of a meal, when I just can’t be asked to eat, or just would rather have something to drink vs. food. It’s my main alternative to breakfast, if I know I’m having a late lunch out.
There are many ways of making it, but the purist way is namely:
- Hot coffee, add
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter, and add
- 1-2 TBSP MCT oil (medium chain tricglyceride oil), aka ‘coconut oil’
- and make sure you blend it with a hand mixer or blender (to “emulsify it”) otherwise if you stir, you will get fat droplets on top….which doesn’t bother me!
My feedback to you is, add butter & oil, in whatever combination works for you!
I find I can’t do as much as the recommended version above,
My version of bullet coffee, is
- hot coffee with
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil, plus
- 1 tsp unsalted butter, plus
- splash of cream.
And that works for me!
So open your mind & give it a try, you will find yourself pleasantly surprised!