- 500g chicken mince (however you can use lamb, pork or beef)
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 tsp parsley (roughly chopped), you can add more if you love the taste of parsley, but be careful, it can overpower the flavour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- coconut oil or animal rendering/fat to cook in
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tins (400g each) of tomatoes (can be plum/roma/chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp xylitol (or an equivalent sweetener in terms of volume/sweetness)
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped basil or oregano (or use 1 tsp dried equivalent
- grated cheese (optional as a topping on the dish)
How to make?
- Mix the mince, onion, parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl. Roll into balls
- Heat the oil/fat in a frying pan, and brown the meatballs on both sides, until golden.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes, garlic, xylitol & dried herbs (fresh only at end of the cooking process) and simmer on a low heat for the next 20-30minutes.
- Season further if required.
- Add the cheese. Turn on the oven grill, and grill the cheese until golden & crispy.
Now it’s ready to be eaten with zucchini noodles or your cauli-rice.