Succulent Oxtail Stew, so tender that the meat simply falls off the bone
In winter, there is nothing better than a well prepared stew, especially oxtail. The secret being the amount of time it takes to cook. It’s so simple the recipe, however the critical ingredient is patience & time!
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1,3kg oxtail
- 1 bottle red wine (750ml) NOT pinotage, which has a tendency to turn sour when cooked
- 1 litre beef stock (can use vegetable stock)
- 5ml salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- optional extras: carrots, leeks, and any other vegetables you would like to add, depending on how quick they take to cook, you can add them in the last 1-2 hours of the cooking process.
How to make?
- In a large pot, melt the coconut oil, and brown the meat on all sides.
- Once done, add all the other ingredients, and get to a simmer, once on simmer, place on the lowest heat on the stove, and leave for 4-5 hours and let it cook slowly, if necessary, you can top up with a bit of water.
- At the last stages, add any vegetables if required.
- Best served with cauli-rice or cauli-wraps.