Main sauce or ingredient: Your choice!
The beauty of basil pesto, is that it can be used either as a sauce over your pasta or it can be used as an ingredient, for example, a tasty paste on your sandwich, on cheese, dollops in an omelette, sauce on meat etc!
The variety of where & how you use it, is really up to how much you experiment with your food! But it’s a wonderful addition to have in your fridge, as a back-up, if you get stuck in what to make for a meal!
- 100g sweet basil leaves (or coriander if you want a coriander pesto)
- 25g butter
- 40g Parmesan
- 200ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 50g pine nuts or nibbed almonds
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
How to make?
- Clean & lightly rinse the basil and pat dry with a paper towel or kitchen towel.
- Place the garlic in a food processor and process until fine.
- Add the butter, basil, parmesan cheese and pine nuts and process until fine
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Keep pesto in a sterile container in the fridge.
- Most importantly enjoy!