Cravings from LCHF…..need my sugar, give me my sugar!
Day 15 of LCHF (low carb, high fat) lifestyle, has made me realize how addicted I am to high & refined carbohydrates and sugar. The sugar craving got so bad, I had to find & make a friendly LCHF dessert, before I broke and shouted…..need my sugar, give me my sugar!
I experimented with a delicious greek yoghurt sorbet-gelato, by replacing the castor sugar with xylitol, and it worked like a dream. It bought an immediate end to the craving, and satisfaction to my tongue & brain!
So for those in the same boat, here’s a great recipe, LCHF friendly. It’s a delicious combination of sweet, sour, tangy that just hits the spot.
4 large egg whites
225g xylitol (however if you want sugar use castor sugar)
500g full-cream Greek yoghurt
150g creme fraiche
2 tsp vanilla extract
How to make?
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Gradually mix the xylitol into the mixture until stiff and glossy.
- In a separate bowl mix all the other ingredients together.
- Now fold the yoghurt mixtures gently into the whites.
- Using an ice-cream machine put the mixture in, and mix for approximately 20-25minutes or until it is ready.
If you do not have an ice-cream machine, when you can spoon into a container, and put into the freezer for at least 8 hours, then it will be ready for consumption. Just note, that without using the ice-cream machine the texture could be a bit grainy due to the sugar crystals and the sorbet-gelato is not as smooth due to the larger crystals that form when freezing vs using the machine, but it is still delicious.
- When ready to serve, leave at room temperature for a few minutes before serving, to make scooping easier as well as mouth-feel.