A friend recently made a delicious red velvet cake for her husbands birthday!
And above are the results of her 2 young children assisting in helping her ice and decorate the cake. They were delighted with their artwork!
The recipe for this awesome cake, which can be made into cupcakes is as follows:-
Ingredients (makes 1 cake or 12 cupcakes)
- 60g butter
- 150g castor sugar
- 1 egg
- 10g cocoa powder
- 15ml red food colouring
- drop of violet food coloring
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 120ml buttermilk
- 150g cake flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Cream Cheese Icing: 300g sifted icing sugar, 50g butter softened, 125g cream cheese at room temperature
How to make?
- Preheat oven to 170-180 degrees celsius
- Mix butter,sugar and egg together until smooth batter.
- Seperately mix the cocoa powder, colouring and extract to a thick smooth paste.
- Add to the butter batter and mix until colour evenly distributed.
- Now mix all the other ingredients into the mixture. Mix well.
- Place into either 12 cupcake paper cases in cupcake tin container or into lined cake tin (preferably 20cm/8 inch). Bake for approximately 20 minutes if cupcakes and 30 minutes if cake OR until baked. You know if its baked if you press it lightly and it springs back when touched OR if skewer comes our clean (from centre)
- When cupcakes or cake is cooled, you can place cream cheese icing on.
- How to make cream cheese icing: mix the butter and icing sugar together with your mixer and then add the cream cheese until fully incorporated. Beat until frosting is light and fluffy. Do not overbeat, since it can become watery.